[Sussex] NOW: So, who are the all-time greats? WAS Hello all

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 21:56:01 UTC 2003

Much as it's always fun to spar with Nik, I was wondering who the "all-time
greats" actually are. I would suggest, for you, the following.

Given that I'm "a bit older" than many on the list, it would be interesting
to see how many names the younger SLUGgers (SLUGgettes?) recognise my list.
And to see what alternative names are generated.

The criteria are:

- Most long-term influence on the course of IT
- Open publication of what they discovered / invented

My top bunch, in roughly chronological order are as follows.

- Alan Turing
- Joseph Van Neumman
- Dennis Ritchie
- Ken Thompson
- Don Knuth
- Tony Hoare
- Edsger Dijkstra
- Mitch Kapor
- John Perry Barlow
- Richard Stallman
- Linus Torvalds
- Larry Lessig

On the basis of Open Publication, I have eliminated Gordon Moore, Bill
Gates, Scott McNeally, Andy Grove, Paul Allen and Steve Jobs.

Comments / alternatives / explanations sought about who the older ones
are???

Regards,

Mark