[Sussex] Appology / continuation

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Thu Feb 13 08:22:01 UTC 2003

> Unfortunately Samba does not properly support Active Directory and in a

But samba can support a large number of users, and it can deliver a
better level of service control han windows can ( e.g. oplocks and veto
files on per share basis ) . If the only thing stopping large scale
distribution of Samba to thousands of users is the lack of Point and
CLick control then we all as sysadmins are lax in our duty to ensure we
are delivering an appropriate set of skills and ability.

as many of you know I come from a large scale MS environment and hell I
have even written code that works at the COM and DCOM level of security
authentication. Speaking as a Coder I would say that Windows Security
and its network implementation needs a serious revisit.

Speaking as a sysadmin, with coding skills, I would say distribution of
Samba on a large scale, wide area network environment is problem in
planning and implementation. The tools and utlities and functions for
delivering wide scale samba implementation are already in the toolbox.

We as sysadmins should learn how o use them effectively.

I came to unix late, having learnt and developed and supported skills
sets in the Microsoft arena for companies Like Llyods, Barings, Swiss
Warburg and Boots. Some people view my enhtusiasm for Unix as a fevour
bordering on zealousness. However I feel that much apprehension caused
by acceptance of Unix , Samba, Linux etc is not its technical merits but
the willingness of those responsible to learn new skills.

If this were another profession, let say engineering. Would we all stay with
the steam engine cause its easier to manange than a deisel ? If this
were Mathematics would we avoid the sq rt of -1 cause its imaginary ?
If we were physicians would we stick to methods that eas easier to
manage then to methods which would aid the patient ?

Strangely enough developers never tire of embraccing new technologies
and learning new skills to implement old ideas. Im fairl sure most
developers would look to their own career and see a long term
development of skills and methedologies used to implement their skill
set.

SysAdmins should be in the same boat. There is a saying if it aint broke
dont fix it ? But our jobs are based on improving and refining what aint
broke. George Hibberd once likened what Sysadmins do to :

Replacing the foundations of a house whilst keeping the 1st floor and
roof up!

Surely if we are in this position it requires us to keep our skills upto
date and our toolbox well maintained.

So I see this as a challenge. No one has yet actually proved that Linux
and samba cannot do the job. Ive seen MS Products in operation and I
woudl say easy out of the box, lousy in long term support. Anyone want
to let me set up a 2k+ user site ?

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.