[Sussex] Appology / continuation

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Thu Feb 13 10:12:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:31:28 -0000, Geoff Teale wrote:
> At the end of the day Active Directory has lots of nice features that
> _could_ make a sysadmins life easier, but really there is no substitute for
> a god sys-admin with a decent knowledge of the basic tools of his job, a set
> of standard scripts and a sensible architecture.  Once and for all: Keep It
> Simple, Stupid!

Apologies for the snippage but it really all came down to this.

I genuinely don't believe that Samba can work across multiple domains,
across multiple sites, across multiple cotinents as well as the native
offerings. I truely hope Samba-TNG will solve that but it's only just
reached 0.3, so we probably have a while to wait.

But given a choice I would always put Samba in rather than NT/2000.
Sometimes however there are other factors and then it can be a case of
no choice. Being in that situation doesn't make one ignorent, which is
where all this started :-)

Neil.