[Sussex] Perl ( Life is Ironic )

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Thu Feb 13 12:55:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:37:54 -0000, Geoff Teale wrote:
> Here's a little piece of irony for you (in consideration of some posts
> earlier this week).
>
> I am currently holding some discussions (to early to give details), but it
> is looking that quite likely that as a result of these discussions Perl (as
> a companion to C) may become part of my daily existence.  I wonder if my
> views on it as a language would change as a result of continued exposure (it
> certainly hasn't worked that way with VB :) )?
>
> Anyhow, can anyone recommend a good Perl book or website from which a
> clueful developer could get a good idea of Perls more advanced
> functionality?  I'm not looking for "Teach yourself Perl in 24 hours"
> here... I already have an old copy of the Camel book kicking around, is it
> worth looking at a newer edition (I'm guessing not)?

For books... I would recommend the latest O'Reilly ones. I believe
Natalie and I between us have them, they are curently being
underutilised, so you are more than welcome to borrow them (I should
just check with Nat but I suspect she'll say yes:-) ).

Website.... well...
	http://use.perl.org
	http://www.perlmonks.org
	http://www.perl.org/
	http://perl.oreilly.com

All good and all likely to give you good jumping off points.

Also consider subscribing to a Perl Mongers mailing list (I would
recommend london.pm - http://london.pm.org as long as you don't mind
Buffy :-) ) or hanging out on irc on london.rhizomatic.org which has
the main #perl irc channel.

Welcome to the collective :-)

Neil.
--