[Sussex] Run on net start

Andrew Guard agua at coinford.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 11:43:01 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominic [mailto:dominic.clay at btinternet.com]
Sent: 14 February 2003 10:06
To: sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: [Sussex] Run on net start

>Hi peeps,

>Does anone know of a way to make a shell script run every time the network
starts?

>I want to update a dyndns.org record everytime the network starts up, but I
don't know how to fire a script at this moment.

>My rubbish router (Conexant ADSL thingy) doesn't seem to have a mechanism
to do this itself.

>I do have a small Java client which will do the job, but I need to be able
to automate the process as and when the network connection starts.

>Any thoughts?

>Dominic

Why are you trying to make it so complicated.  On ADSL is there is good
chance it an static IP address.  The only advantage if that is so with
dyndns.org is fact it easer to type in then IP, but buying domain name and
having forwarded on to you IP cost next to nothing.

Just my 0.02 cents