[Sussex] RE: The 'D' programming language

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 14:17:00 UTC 2003

As it's my birthday and nobody seem to be hassling me as I have a desk full
of doughnuts next to me and a few pints inside me, I shall continue...

Steve wrote:
------------
<snip>
>   [That last line was adapted from a line in the second radio
>    series of the Hitch Hikers' Guild to the Galaxy - By D Adams]

This must be some strange new use of the word "Safe" I wasn't previously
aware of...

> 3\ Sometimes the pressures of the project also causes the
> developers to
> go with what they know.  When managers do this is can get in the way
> of building a better system.

Yes.  It's certaily easier to spec accurately for a lnaguage you already
know!

<snip>
> Did I misread you?  If I did I'm sorry.

As likely as not it was my explanation that was lacking, not your
understanding.

> But to me both your posting suggested to me that if
> developing code to run
> on an embedded system - with no constraints (hence embedded) you would
> rather
> write the firmware in assembler.  I, on the other hand, would
> rather use
> Java, C++ or C (in that order).  To me, whether at work or for fun at
> home,  assembly is a dead technology.
<snip>

I agree totally that assembly is _not_ the best way of doing the job, it
would merely be the most intelectually challenging approach.  What I was
trying to point out was that I didn't really have time to dedicate to my
favoured tools (D, Ruby, LISP) because I have to live in the "real world".

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company