[Sussex] RE: The 'D' programming language and onwards

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 14:23:00 UTC 2003

John C. wrote:
--------------
> My views on a D programming language are that it sounds like a
> deprogramming language. I wondered where they would take it?
>
> E, sounds like a new drug for raves.
> F, describes most of them anyway - "F'in programming language" ;)
>
> It just seems bizarre that they are expanding on the C programming
> language each time. I don't think B had much to do with C, had it?

B had a _lot_ to do with C.  B descended from BCPL, C decended from B.  Some
people argue that C++ (or indeed D) should actually be called "P".

> I know that there are practically hundreds of programming
> languages out
> there, why do we need to have another one for people to
> learn? Oh maybe
> thats the point, we have to have something new to learn in
> the programming
> world.

I think that:

0\ we (that is we with a genuine love of programming) do _desire_ to be in a
state of learning at all times.

1\ if new languages didn't come along we'd still be entering programs with
switches.  People who say that a language can't take off because there are
good existing languages are ignoring the lessons of the past.

> I think this is a conspiracy theory so that companies can advertise
> positions for 'must have 6 months experience of new
> programming language
> that has been released today'

I think that is an aspect of nearly everyone involved in IT recruitment (IT
managers, HR staff and recruitment consultants) not knowing the first thing
about IT.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company