[Sussex] RE: The 'D' programming language

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Feb 20 14:56:01 UTC 2003

> Where was my invite to doughnuts and beer down the pub.  On second
> thoughts if I'd have popped over we'd probably still be there.  Is
> that a bad think?

No.. I would prefer that.  You know Steve, any time you're in the East
Grinstead area and you want some beer and doughnuts you're quite welcome to
pop in (or drag me away from my screen).

> Most of they time I've done it it is to reduce the risk - a
> language that
> I already know is one less thing to bite me in the arse.

For this reason it is considered good practice to try and learn at one new
language a year - this will help you make the best decisions and be
confident in them...

> I've look at the "real world" and didn't like what I saw :-)

The "real world" is a funny term.  I think my world is as valid as any
business mans..  I wrote in my last appraisal at Rentokil that "while i
realise it is not always possible to have managers who live in the
realworld, it would be nice to have some who have heard of it, and maybe
even seen the odd picture once in a while".

In retrospect that was uneccesarily cruel comment to have made, people at
Rentokil aren't bad people, they are just very pedestrian and have a
tendancy to promise things they can't deliver financially (or at least at
that time).  THe place was bearable because there were clueful senior
managers - the middle managers didn't understand what they were already
doing and didn't want to take on anything new.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company