[Sussex] BIOS no-more

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 09:24:01 UTC 2003

Morning all...

Firstly, well done Gareth - we're getting ever closer to having a website
that can be usefully maintained and put forth lots of information.  I'm all
of the active members of the group have at least one "How to" in them - Nik
seems to be positively bursting at the seems (but then dancers always wear
their trousers too tight ;-)  ).

Secondly.. it seems that Intel is moving it's Extensible Firmware Interface
(EFI) technology down from the Itanium to Pentium class systems, the plan is
that this will spell the end of the last legacy of the original PC - the
BIOS (or at least from everything above the EFI's point of view).

On the plus side EFI will mean the end of the text mode boot environment and
will allow basic hardware drivers to be included on the hardware itself.

See intels EFI homepage for details.
http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi/index.htm?iid=sr+efi&

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company