[Sussex] Detect ethernet card - newbie question

Chris Parsons cornubia at clara.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 09:02:03 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: sussex-admin at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:sussex-admin at mailman.lug.org.uk]On Behalf Of Geoff Teale
Sent: 24 February 2003 08:46
To: 'sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk'
Subject: RE: [Sussex] Detect ethernet card - newbie question

> Hi,
>
> I am slowly converting my pcs to Linux; the box I am doing
> now does not seem
> to be able to detect its Ethernet card, how should I
> configure it manually?
>
> Thanks and regards...Chris

Morning Chris,

The first thing you need to do is establish what type of card it is you have
and whether the you have the drivers for it built for your kernel.  We'll
need some more information before we begin...

Questions-
0\ What LINUX distribution are you using (and what version)?
1\ What network card is in the machine?

There are four possible reasons you card may not be working straight off-

0\ You may need to tell LINUX to load a specific driver module for the card.
1\ LINUX may not have a compiled driver module for the card (so you may need
to compile one from source)
2\ LINUX may not currently support the card (very unlikely)
3\ THe crad may be dead ( I assume it works fine under windows.. so this is
also unlikely).

Get back to us and I'm sure we'll all pitch in to help you.

--
Geoff,

Many thanks. It's Suse 8.1, Realtek 8239 and it worked ok under Windows. I
am wondering if the problem might lie a bit deeper; this box has a cheap
Elite motherboard with a built-in lan adaptor. Linux didn't detect that,
either. Just to be on the safe side, I've disabled the built-in jobbie.

Chris