[Sussex] Detect ethernet card - newbie question

Chris Parsons cornubia at clara.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 19:00:01 UTC 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: sussex-admin at mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:sussex-admin at mailman.lug.org.uk]On Behalf Of Geoff Teale
Sent: 24 February 2003 09:16
To: 'sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk'
Subject: RE: [Sussex] Detect ethernet card - newbie question

Chris wrote:
------------
> Geoff,
>
> Many thanks. It's Suse 8.1, Realtek 8239 and it worked ok
> under Windows. I
> am wondering if the problem might lie a bit deeper; this box
> has a cheap
> Elite motherboard with a built-in lan adaptor. Linux didn't
> detect that,
> either. Just to be on the safe side, I've disabled the
> built-in jobbie.

Hmmm, well this card is definitely supported  - I believe you need to use
the 8139too driver under a 2.4 series kernel (guys, am I right here?).

Try doing a:

modprobe 8139too

... the response should tell you whether you have the driver installed -
that's stage one!

--
Geoff,

It failed: No such device