[Sussex] Network problem

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Mon Feb 24 23:23:02 UTC 2003

> I'm Just running a 2 pc network at the moment it has been working
> perfectly ok for ages. But  now it is giving up the ghost it would seem,
> I could ping the
> other computer on the LAN earlier today and get a 33% packet loss but
> couldnt comunicate in any other way, and now i can ping atall. I have
> tried changing cables reinstalling drivers and such, even changing
> hardware. except
> the hub.
> I dont know if its the Hub that has gone wrong or just a bad problem
> else where, and I dont have a spare to make sure. any ideas?

Do you have a crossover cable? You could rule out the hub by using a
crossover cable instead, run a ping test between them and see if its that
which is goving problems.

Check the duplex settings on the network cards, and make sure both are
running at the same speed. It could be something simple like that causing
the packet loss/network failure. Both cards are in the same IP range,
check to see if that could be the problem, its just a matter of ruling out
various things as you go.

--
John