[Sussex] Network problem

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Feb 25 08:34:01 UTC 2003

Andrew wrote:
-------------
> If is the Hub (which very surprised if is) but if need to get
> an new one
> Netgear makes some of the best networking gear.   I wouldn't allow any
> Belkin networking gear my network even if pay me, trust me
> there stuff is
> just not worth having in my experience.

Hmm, maybe so, but Netgear are not exactly the most pro-Linux company out
there (not that it matters for a hub) and Belkin mark many of their products
up as Linux compatible - a useful way of drawing attention to Linux amongst
the sort of people who buy KVM switch in PC World...  Idealogically Belkin
is the better bet :)

Frankly, as failure rates for small hubs are infinitesimal any way, cheap
and cheerful is as good a bet as anything - I purchased a Linksys 10Mbit 5
port hub and two Linksys 10Mbit NE2000 NIC's for a grand total of £15 four
years ago and not a single piece of that kit has ever failed me, despite
rigourous use and abuse.  Moreover I have never once had any trouble with
drivers for these cards on _any_ OS.  The NIC's will both be in my parts
drawer once the new Dell box arrives and I guess as every machine on my
network will be 100Mbit capable I might just upgrade the hub at somepoint as
well.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"Injustice is happening now; suffering is happening now. We have choices to
make now. To insist on absolute certainty before starting to apply ethics to
life decisions is a way of choosing to be amoral."
   - Richard M Stallman

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company