[Sussex] Network problem

Andrew Guard agua at coinford.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 09:07:04 UTC 2003

That's correct, I was just point an point across in different way.  I could
of chosen an Floppy disk or hard drive for that matter.

> > Drivers being a problem with NIC, who, where, I don't know of any.
>
> Usually, the better manufacturers are better supported as they tend to
> look for performance improvements rather than cutting costs,
> and the fact
> that more people use them so support is much greater.
>
> > What is wrong with KVM switch?  Rather useful if need to
> save some space
> > and play about with software.
>
> KVM switches are useful, but are prone to interference which may cause
> ghosting of the image on the monitor. This problem is
> especially common
> with Belkin, perhaps because of their poor build quality.
>
> If you can get away with using VNC, use that instead:
> http://www.realvnc.com/

That's one of my main tools, it just great!  It has an Tight executable
file, works on the main OS (Still no real support for Mac (which is strange
as Mac X really is an Unix)).  Using VNC has given us the ability to remote
view CCTV systems we use.

The problem with VNC is I don't want anyone but for me to know the
passwords.  VNC isn't the best solution in all applications.  It falls down
if using on NT 4 system as doesn't run before password entry.  Mainly down
to NT 4 way of working.  Which our main servers are.  As such we use an KVM
for in viewing and operating them.

Which brings me on to another issue with Microsoft I don't see any need to
get Windows 2000/2003 Server when NT is serving our needs fine.  If we where
going to update the servers I would probably go for some Linux, mainly due
to insane costs from Micro$oft.   We have some people who do very serious
work using Windows 95, but I don't see point in getting my licences for them
so they can have Windows 2000.  It works and works fine.

Now I could spend the money and upgrade but just can not for my life see any
point in do that and that not because I wouldn't be able to get the money to
do it.  I just think its just an waste of time.