[Sussex] My adsl modem/router

Robin Shepheard robin at shepheard-son.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 14:00:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 13:46, john wrote:

> Whilst the Shields up test, says it can't get in, the "probe my ports" test
> tells me that ports 21,23 and 80 are open. This is presumably because that
> is the default for the modem/router.

This means that it has the web, ftp and telnet ports open. I would not
be worried unless you can change the config of the router via telnet and
from any IP address and you have not changed the default passwords.

SAR110 supports  "NAPT rule: The default rule that is used in a basic single
> IP setup. This blocks unsolicited incoming data, but allows replies to data
> you requested to return".

I use smoothwall, which has the same feature, very useful as we have 5
people sharing my adsl connection and they all play different online
games. An absolute nightmare if I had to open each port individually.

> Or does anyone know the how/why of whether I can stop both my mandrake
> install and wind0w$ XP from broadcasting my external IP - that is presuming
> that to do so would mean that when I'm not using my connection, it is
> "stealthed"?

I cant say I know of anyway to do anything about it

Cheers

Robin