[Sussex] Charity Threads.

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Fri Jan 3 15:19:00 UTC 2003

Hi Matt,

I've got that DVD but haven't looked at the Thin Clients yet. I generally use a bootrom floppy - permanently placed in the floppy drive, I then put the floppy completely inboard so kids can't play! Adults who want to get work off a floppy have to put it into the server so that there is some control.

I played with Citrix etc. in the past but the thin client for that is actually pretty thick (both in content and performance!).

PIX booting is good when it works but the LTSP project installation is very friendly in the way it defaults.

I use LTSP at home and in the office in France where it is part of a demo suite. I have demonstrated it to some UK schools and similar cash-strapped institutions. They all show interest and lack motivation if they belong to the public sector!

This wisdom was penned by "Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew J"
<s0209208 at glos.ac.uk> on Fri, 3 Jan 2003 12:16:48 -0000:

> Derek,
>
> In the latest version of Linux Format, there is a distro on the DVD
> that can(IIRC) Act as a thin client that connects to a server running
> X, NT Terminal Server if Citrix ICA metaframe.
>
> Don't know how well it works, but it may be something you're
> interested in.
>
> HTH,
>
> Matt

Best wishes,