[Sussex] SSL

Paul Turner pkturner at f2s.com
Tue Jan 7 21:51:00 UTC 2003

Dominic,

I did this a while back on Redhat 6.2 and Apache.  It involved downloading the source for Apache and OpenSSL and compiling them both.  If your lucky there might be an rpm out there with SSL support already, but I couldn't find one at the time.

You do not have to purchase a certificate, you can create your own, but then you are authenticating yourself which is fine for testing or internal only access.

There is some fairly good documentation in a book that I have at work.  "Linux Apache Web Server Administration" by Charle Aulds.  See here http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782141374/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-7439741-5084463 for more info.  I have a copy at work which I'll happily lend you, but I'm off till next week so I can't get it before then.

Hope this helps you.

Paul.