[Sussex] XP goes slow - help!

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 8 20:09:01 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm in the process of converting a small business to open source by introducing things gradually, with some considerable success! They now have a stable Linux server handling all the files and print services plus the usual Internet interfaces.

However, the business in the next door office enticed me to load a USB modem onto an XP standalone workstation. In the course of this, I had to reinstall XP! They use Works not Office. Sinc the internet connectivity was achieved, Works runs dead slow when the machine is _not_ online but reverts to normal when it is. Works has also been reinstalled.

Coincidently, they have an XP standalone laptop (which I had nothing to do with) and that, too, has been running Works apps. in reverse when not online since it was given internet connectivity.

I haven't met this before, I assume that the system is trying to communicate across the internet and it is the continued effort that slows everything down. They aren't networked, downgrading is not an option (OpenOffice.org will be installed in the next week, however!).

So, any ideas how I can turn of the go-slow juice? Crack that and I'm on the way to a second open-source business client!

P.S. I'm still desparate for 8-12 NICs and a reasonable hub for one of my pet charities if there are any going!

--
Best wishes,
Derek