[Sussex] Really Dumb dd question

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Thu Jan 9 15:13:00 UTC 2003

>> Of course this kind of strategy that your average Microsoft /
>> Dell acredited service and hardware provider would adopt -
>> "Intranet server sir? Well of course you'll need a new Dell
>> blade system with at least 12 Xeons, a few Gigs of RAM and
>> IIS 5 with all the extras.."
>>
>> Personally I like Nik's approach.. .lets solve it in the
>> shell :) - this is the way of the UNIXophile.
>
> I agree, one doesn't need the big expensive solution, a good
> thought outside the box maybe just a good.  As long as you
> know the limitations.

This reminds me of an internet cafe in West London, the ISP suggested that
they should get a T1 for their money from the states, and being the type
of thinkers they were, they bought one, and lasted a whole month before
going completely bankrupt. The ISP inherited their T1 line.

I remember the ISP well, as I registered their domain name: channel.co.uk
(I kept mistyping it and having the domain rejected, back when domain name
registration in the UK was done through MHS relay)

--
John