[Sussex] LINUX on Mini-ITX / Via?

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Jan 10 13:38:59 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 10 January 2003 at 12:41 wrote:
<snip>
> Doh!... told you I was tired today, didn't even begin to think that one
> through, and this of course leads you back to your central administration
> problem.

You're forgiven; I'll knew you wouldn't mind a little gentle ribbing :-)

<snip>

> Yup.. sorry.. just falling into the "everything is a file" trap because I
> was pulling info out of /proc/cpuinfo last night and it's so easy to fool
> yourself into thinking that the information is coming from your harddrive.

But on Unix every thing is a file, it just than not every file lives on
a file-system.  Other examples are: network connections.  Any before you
say it: Yes, I know plan9 does it better.

<snip>

> Yup, which is part of the reason why UNIX vendor advocate using it the way
> it was designed to be used - which is where we came in.  So maybe, with PC
> hardware so cheap these days you can make this type of setup work still.

I know SysAdmins that have done this for large systems.  They have a master
station on which they roll out any new config changes and then other
machines
rsync to the master.  The scripts and set-up details are even being made
open source :-)

<snip>

>                                I like that I can bounce an idea around and
> someone will tell me to stop being stupid - that's a lot better than a
blank
> look from people who haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

As I've said already, I know you could take a little gentle ribbing.  But
that's the problem with group of "intelligent" techies.  Since school my
motto has been: As one learns from one's mistakes I'm getting one hell of an
education!