[Sussex] [OT] Source code at interviews...

Dominic Clay dominic.clay at europrospectus.com
Mon Jan 13 12:42:01 UTC 2003

Thanks for the input, I think I will do more or less this.  There is no way,
in the time available that I can get a subset of the data onto my laptop,
with any certainty of working.  Its too complex (I am s'posed to still be
working here too!)

I will choose some code and think on pros and cons of the solution we found
and why we chose it.
I will show some stored procs too, as they look a little like voodoo and
imply the data is indeed too complex to implement on my laptop.

I think I will also show the Process flow and Functional Design Docs, that I
drafted, as I think they show some reasonable att'n to detail :)

I won't worry too much about code that will compile, just view them as
collections of descriptive functions that highlight my methodologies
(commenting etc) and understanding of the technologies (Data Access
mechanisms, logging etc).

God I hate interviews (especially when I really need it :} )

Cheers peeps,

Dominic

>Again I agree.  There is nothing like showing a working system.  If I were
you I printout a copy or two
>of one module - one which was challenging and in which you take pride in
the solution you came up with.  >Present them with the code as an example of
your work and then ignore it. Let them make the first move in >going though
your code.