[Sussex] LINUX in schools

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 13 15:02:00 UTC 2003

This wisdom was penned by Geoff Teale <Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk> on
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:53:15 -0000:

> http://education.guardian.co.uk/elearning/story/0%2c10577%2c869738%2c00.html

The article gives responses from Becta exactly in line with the replies I got "live" at the exhibition except the person I spoke to said, "We don't quite know how Open Source systems can actually help in education." but I don't think she understood the question!

Geoff - it was Dr Herbert whose surname I forgot. Both he and Roger from SuSE speak extremely well and are as supportive as they can be to promote common sense in schools. Malcolm from RH could provide LTSP expertise and CDs at one time (two years ago) but the CDs are easy to download from www.k12ltsp.org and the expertise is rather wider now. This months' Linux Mag. has a large article dealing with an alternative approach to LTSP. It isn't new as such and I find the K12LTSP (i.e. RH based) easier to install and run first time. My demo. is the RH version and my main box, SuSE 7.3 ran a version of that outlined in the Mag.

My recent request for NICs is to support terminals for LTSP.

--
Best wishes,
Derek