FreeBSD 5.0, GPL vs BSD license (was) Re: [Sussex] From Ball To L inux.

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Mon Jan 20 10:19:00 UTC 2003

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 09:46  am, Geoff Teale wrote:

> Anyhow, all that aside.  Here's a question for Neil.  What I want to
> know,
> is what is the problem with the GPL?  Why do you want to remove it?
> Much
> as the BSD license that covers the kernel of FreeBSD is less
> restrictive
> (to people who want to profit from others effort) it's worth noting
> that
> FreeBSD cannot exist without GPL'd software just as surely as LINUX
> cannot.

I did stick a smiley on my post.

It wasn't meant as a serious comment. I personally have issues with the
GPL or more accurate Stallman and his position on software licencing.

I prefer FreeBSD for servers due to it's consistancy and it's
stability. Again that's a personal thing.

I don't think either Linux or FreeBSD are ready for the business
desktop, but then that is because a lot of the people I work with have
bespoke applications written for Windows or Mac OS that the developers
aren't going to port to X windows in a month of Sundays. It's a fact of
life I'm afraid and something that isn't going to change anytime soon.

These are of course all my personal views and aren't likely to be
popular around here.

Neil.