FreeBSD 5.0, GPL vs BSD license (was) Re: [Sussex] From Ball To L inux.

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 10:37:01 UTC 2003

Neil wrote:
-----------
> I did stick a smiley on my post.

Yup.. Didn't mean to make that sound like an attack, I actually just wanted
to hear your point of view - I was triggered by the inclusion of the GPL.. I
can understand the personal preference for FreeBSD as an OS, but I wondered
why the GPL was something you specifically didn't like.

> It wasn't meant as a serious comment. I personally have
> issues with the
> GPL or more accurate Stallman and his position on software licencing.

I think a lot of people think RMS is too radical, this is the root of the
Open Source / Free Software divide.

> I prefer FreeBSD for servers due to it's consistancy and it's
> stability. Again that's a personal thing.

I'm actually inclined to agree with you, especially since FreeBSD now has
decent support for SMP - it can regain it's reputation as a high-load server
platform.

> I don't think either Linux or FreeBSD are ready for the business
> desktop, but then that is because a lot of the people I work
> with have
> bespoke applications written for Windows or Mac OS that the
> developers
> aren't going to port to X windows in a month of Sundays. It's
> a fact of
> life I'm afraid and something that isn't going to change anytime soon.

A also agree that this is a weakness.  If you have an investment in internal
development or buy products like Act then your first question is how do I
get this to run on LINUX/BSD..etc..?  Running something like VMware is not
an option - in most cases this would defeat the point of the excercise -
indeed any licensing costs you have to add in to convert make the whole
operation less viable.  However there is a realisation of this problem in
the community and work is being done to get things in place.  It's an
interesting point and I'm keen to see how things develop.

> These are of course all my personal views and aren't likely to be
> popular around here.

I don't think of this as a popularity contest, I'm keen to hear other
peoples opinion (much as it may seem like I'm mouthing off), I genuinely
want to hear someone address what I see as FreeBSD's weakness (it's license)
- I don't approve of the idea that all of that hard work is open for big
companies to reap and make profit on without passing on the same
opportunities.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"and the mighty multinationals
have monopolized the oxygen
so it's as easy as breathing
for us all to participate"
- Ani DiFranco "Your next bold move"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company