FreeBSD 5.0, GPL vs BSD license (was) Re: [Sussex] From Ball To L inux.

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 14:00:01 UTC 2003

Neil wrote:
-----------
> Ultimately this is the developers decision. If you don't want to have
> your work released under the BSD licence, don't work on projects that
> use it. A large number of people choose to do so and they
> must be happy
> with it.

Absolutely agree - it is up to them if they want to license things this way.
I guess I just don't understand their motivation.

> Apologies for dragging up the whole licence issue with my little
> joke.... I'll keep quiet in future.

:)  Hey, it's not as if we're into flame war on the subject.  I just have a
tendancy to want to discuss these things.  I've said it before and I'll say
it again - I actively court people to give me their opinions and discuss
things.  I want someone to change my mind, or maybe visa versa, or mayeb
we'll both walk away assured of our own position.  I see this as just one
aspect of community - some people come here to get help setting a Samba
server, or whatever, I come here to talk about the issues and technology.  I
do tend to be a fundementalist and an idealist sometimes, over times I'm
just cynical.  I hope I do not cause anyone offence (or clutter your inboxes
with too much crap), but it's rare to have an audience of so many
intellegent people to bounce ideas off.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"and the mighty multinationals
have monopolized the oxygen
so it's as easy as breathing
for us all to participate"
- Ani DiFranco "Your next bold move"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company