[Sussex] vga=ask ???

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Jan 21 09:01:06 UTC 2003

Steve wrote:
------------
> It may be of little help, but I have not experienced any
> problems on my
> notebook (yup, the one that's for sale) using SuSE distros. I
> don't often
> use vga=ask, but have not had any problems when I do. In addition, any
> vga=??? lilo options run fine, vga=792 being the default in
> SuSE if memory
> serves me correctly.
>
> Shall I cut you a set of SuSE 8.1 Pro CDs?

Steve, no need thanks!  I too had no trouble with the various console modes
under either SuSE or Mandrake in the past.  This is why I am confounded.. I
actually spend quite a bit of time not running X11 so, on a 17" monitor, it
would be nice if I could bump up the resolution - not least so I can fit a
bit more code on the screen at once!

I may try just setting a fixed vga value instead and see if that works, or
maybe get rid of apmd (?).

Thanks for the info everybody.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"and the mighty multinationals
have monopolized the oxygen
so it's as easy as breathing
for us all to participate"
- Ani DiFranco "Your next bold move"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company