[Sussex] Sony at the CES, etc..

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Wed Jan 22 09:11:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 08:54  am, Geoff Teale wrote:

> - Sony will unify it's entire product range on this single platform -
> that's
> everything from phones, MP3 players and Cameras via PDA's and
> Playstations
> all the way up to laptops and desktop computers.

I'm really not convinced one size fit's all works. I'll be happy to be
proven wrong but I won't be surprised if this doesn't work.

As an example: Palm OS is an excellent PDA OS, it's designed
specifically for the job it was aimed at. It wouldn't scale to a
laptop, let alone a desktop. I can understand Handspring and Palm
trying to incorporate phone functionality but am waiting to see if it's
the smart thing to do.

Even Microsoft seem to have abandoned it's Windows on everything
(including your toaster) plan, though Pocket PC 2002 does seem to be
popping up everywhere (and I'm too scared to risk trashing my iPaq).

Don't get me wrong, I think Sony should be applauded for the stance
(heck, the Vaios were originally designed to run Mac OS, hence
firewire, until Jobs pulled the plug on licencing, so Sony have been
burnt once before), I'm just not certain it'll ever become a reality.

Neil.