[Sussex] Idea's and suggestions ?????

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Thu Jan 30 07:52:02 UTC 2003

On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 12:40  am, john wrote:

> Evening All,
>
> I'm currently using an Alcatel speedtouch usb modem to dual boot XP and
> mandrake 9.0.

[snip]

The simplest option is the ethernet modem/router route. Fully platform
independent and most of them have fairly good built in firewalling
which removes the need for setting one up on the PC.

In theory you should be able to get the Alcatel working under Linux,
though how well it's supported under Mandrake I don't know. More
experienced people need to chip in at this point.

Another option is to use the Alcatel in conjunction with a box running
IPCop. This gives you a robust firewall and is a proven solution (Nik
and Jon can confirm) but unless you have a suitable donor PC kicking
around would most likely be considerably more expensive than the router
option.

As for the firewall config, allow everything out and nothing in. PC
will be able to do everything as normal (surfing, email, etc) but will
not allow any connections originated from outside.

Hope that's helped.
Neil.