[Sussex] UC!

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 12:07:01 UTC 2003

<Was written by Geoff>
>> On the other hand - if I address the older IT professionals on this
>list, why
>> did you first get into Linux?  I'll bet for a lot of you it's because
>it
>> meant you could have Unix on your home machines and you
>could get your
>hands
>> dirty in it.

<Was written by Gareth>
>Just for the record I think now, well anyway for most of the younger IT
>professionals, the reason that they turned to LINUX is of a different
>reason. The reason being mainly that it's available, free and a good
>alternative to windows. Although the other reason is because their
>dad/mate/teacher had it running and they liked it.
>
>But once you get into it, it's for the very same reasons you like it.

My main reason for getting into Linux is :-

1. Firstly i'm curious to try out an alternative.

2. I'm really fed up with an OS that is so fragile.

3. Lots of really good development environments and
   software is FREE.

4. Linux is NOT fragile, though there are lots of
   things that really piss me off like:

   a. Installation is never a breeze

   b. Copying and pasting does not work across
      all apps, which it should - I know some
      apps are developed for Gnome and others for
      KDE; but come on, surely we could come up
      with a common method for all GUI's.  Even
      if we keep the GUI's as separate projects
      I believe that there should be an attempt
      at greater integration between them.

   c. Im sorry lads, I know some/most of you are
      command line fellas - but more and more newbies
      now come from M$ and actually like working
      in a GUI.  For me its been such a long time
      since I worked in command line mode, that I
      find the command line quite alien to me, even
      if it is useful and just plain necessary for
      some tasks.

5. Despite the negative remarks above, I still want
   to carry on using it because the benefits
   outweigh the relatively high learning curve.

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company