[Sussex] CV advice...

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 18:10:00 UTC 2003

Guys,

I think that there is one other point worth making here. The good jobs go to
the people who tailor their CV to the application in question.

Now, I know that agencies (of which there are no good ones) send out the
same CV to everywhere, but the vast majority of GOOD applicants, in my
experience, have come direct or through recommendations.

When I was climbing the greasy pole (TM) I used to re-write my CV for every
different application.

If you're doing that, then you can change the format.... Word for sending to
HR departments and agencies, or for general management positions, ASCII/HTML
for techy positions where you KNOW it's going to be a techy making the
hiring decision.

You may, however, need two CVs for a given job - one for the techy manager,
one for the HR department. A friend of mine owes me a pint, since his CV was
ASCII and techy, and the techy manager wanted to hire him.... but needed an
"HR department" CV to show to HR.... which I provided :-)

Regards,

Mark