[Sussex] Wild Claims

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Jul 23 13:07:00 UTC 2003

Hi Guys

Sorry I haven't been vocal over the last three days, I've been
in NL on business.

On 21 July 2003 at 11:31 Mark Harrison:
> Actually, MBH is Mary... I', MPH :-)
>
> Full Marks (if you'll pardon the pub) for the Geoff-fishing.
>

> I am happy that the world contains advocates - both for MS and for
> OpenSource. However, I believe that the world also needs
> impartial analysis.
>
> There are two things that I object to:
>
> - When someone present rapid advocacy for impartial analysis

Agreed

> - When someone concentrates on rubbishing the opposition rather than
>   promoting the benefits of their own solution

In the last couple of years I've come around to this camp too.
I now think that the biggest problem to wider spread Linux acceptance
are those that religiously put Windows down.

On the flight back the gent sitting next to me asked if what I was
doing was for business or pleasure.  I said pleasure and the Linux/Open
Source soap box was used.  At no time did I "rubbish" windows.  I did
point out the advantages of peer review, the money that IBM is pumping
into Linux.

Did I recommend Linux to him?  No, not as someone who just wants to
use a computer as a tool to write documents and surf the net.  I said
that Linux is not ready yet for the casual user, one needs to be a
hobbyist or an IT expert to get a handle on it.

On Monday, July 21, 2003 at 10:09 AM nik at wired4life.org wrote:
> > bugger: I went fishing and caught a Teale... Gottas throw
> > that one back, i like the Big  Fish !
> >
> > Seriously though, Geoff, I was hoping MBH would chip in as
> > this sort of article as you point out is exactly what MBH
> > ( Id call him mark, but MBH sounds , well more professional
> > <grin>) likes getting his teeth into .

Does this put MPH on the same level as RMS?

> > Im sticking well in the Rampant, Rabid Pro Linux Open Source camp,
> > butthats just my Fabianistic resolve.

Thanks for letting me know; I wouldn't know otherwise :-D