[Sussex] RE. web stats

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 09:55:00 UTC 2003

> My speedtouch said '... works under Mac, Win and linux ...' only win
> driver was supplied and the alcatel co uk then linked the driver for
> linux with sourceforge saying 'an approved linux driver is now
available
> ...' The user (newbie) then goes and downloads and spends anything
from
> a day to a week tweaking and .... alas! learning a lot about kernels,
> make make install and other commands (and GUI)... I am now fairly good
> at bash and terminals and drink lots of coffee while the linux bos is
> filling the terminal with weird looking messages one cannot read and
> doesn't understand ...

This was the same when I got my modem but my modem didn't even needed
added drivers on Linux, I just plugged it in and used standard serial
port modem communication. I think mainly the problems come when you
go out and buy and internal or USB modem.

The stupid this is windows hasn't got a basic serial port modem
communication driver with it. So you have to either hunt the internet
for one if you don't have one or you lost the disk which invariably
happens.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.