[Sussex] Re: Kylix and now PHP!

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Jun 6 00:29:00 UTC 2003

On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 4:20 pm, Andrew Guard wrote:

> PS PHP is so much better then ASP.  ASP is *&^%.

On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 4:50 pm, Mark Harrison wrote:

an excellent e-mail so I now have a vague idea as to what PHP actually is.

On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 4:54 pm, Mark Harrison wrote:

 ASP is *&^%.

I disagree.

Well, sorry Andrew, I have to agree with Mark because, one of the main reasons
for a nugget like me getting interested in the Linux cause, in the first
place, wasn't because I think that M$ are a pile of pooh, but because my
brother (IT professional and resident family redhat bore) and groups like
"theregister" have managed to highlight, what I consider to be "shoddy
tactics" when it comes to their attitude to, not only other businesses, but
too a large section of their customers. Which is why I am happy to remain a
happy (if largely ignorant) M$ refusnik (desig).

The "more you sell, the cheaper it gets" attitude often found in business does
not seem to apply, when it comes to software of a proprietary nature
(especially when the proprietor is M$), but about nailing you down and
screwing the last drips of cash that they can manage.

These are some of the main reasons for my recent "train" of questions about
web development. i.e. (no pun intended) my ??? a month or two ago about open
source opposition to M$ f********. Well, I am now happy to have a go at
designing a web site with either quanta or bluefish, and while I sort of,
vaguely understand what PHP is about (after I asked the question today, I
found their site, but it seemed about as clear as mud!), and I now understand
that I will be producing "static" pages/site.

But, it might be nice, in the rather distant future, to produce a site with a
few "bells and whistles", and my rather miniscule knowledge suggests that
"java" is looking favourite to do that, but as with my PHP question, I will
have to find out, "what it can do for me, rather than what I can do for it!".

<sweeping generalisation>
I still think that it is a shame that all the IT professionals out there
didn't include modules about how to write in "plain english" during their
degree studies, because there is still too much stuff, by way of printed
publications, written by geeks, for geeks (as I am finding it hard enough to
get my head round O'Really's "Web Design in a Nutshell", and it's starting to
concern me a little, that I may have wasted my money on a copy of "Running
Linux"!!!
</sweeping generalisation>

Anyway, after the "sweeping generalisation" bit, I recall/notice the bit on
the SLUG site where Gareth has credited PHP at the bottom. Well, after
reading Marks' e-mail, it occured to me that the site is pretty "static".

So, which bits of it have been produced using PHP? (even though I now
understand that I don't need to know anything about it, to accomplish what I
would like to do!)

thanks for all the reply's to what may seem like pretty banal questions so far
(more to come!!!)

regards

John D.