[Sussex] Hey I know this guy!

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jun 8 12:08:00 UTC 2003

On Sunday 08 Jun 2003 10:01 am, Nik Butler wrote:
Well this story just surfaced.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/06/08/031229&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=
163
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t272-s2135726,00.html
And id like to mention that the Architecture involved in shipping this
project is one that 3aIT will be promoting quite heavily in the future.
Can someone say Linux on the Desktop ?

Reading the links reminded me, the other day I was delivering to a branch of
Tesco's in SW London. I had got the "drop" completed, and was collecting my
receipt, when I noticed a rather "schwingy" looking brand new computer device
bolted to the wall by the goods in entrance.

It had a TFT type screen and full QWERTY keyboard with integral "tracker ball"
and magnetic strip card reader, all mounted in a brush finished stainless
steel case (I actually thought it wouldn't look out of place in a public
bog!).

Anyway, on enquiring, I was told that it was the new "clocking in machine",
and you could have knocked me over with a feather when on giving the "tracker
ball" a quick spin, the black screen disappeared and I was faced with a level
3 loggin screen for Redhat Linx 7.3a - kernel version ???whatever???

Curious where you see bit's of linux technology popping up eh what!!!

regards

John D:-?

--
http://foodnazis.blogspot.com