[Sussex] Mandrakew 9.1 shared partitions

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Jun 9 08:03:01 UTC 2003

Gordon

On 07 June 2003 at 17:57 Gordon Darling wrote:
> I have 3 fat32 partitions on /mnt/win_c, /mnt/win_d and /mnt/win_e
>
> I want access to them for two users.
> OK, chmod 777 the mount points
> Whoops, Mandrake instantly changes them back to 744.
> (Security level is set to "high")
>
> Open the Mandrake Control Centre and delve about the innards
> of directory
> permissions. Whatever I set won't stick
>
> Edit /etc/security/msec/perm.local to show
> /mnt/win_c/ current 777  (Also try /mnt/win_c/ current 7777)
> /mnt/win_d/ current 777
> /mnt/win_e/ current 777
>
> Still doesn't wan't to let the permissions stick
>
> Any ideas?

I've found that with FAT32 file systems that the trick is to have
the users that want to write to them should mount them.  Edit the
/etc/fstab file and set the options for the FAT32 file systems to
"noauto,users".  This will stop the systems automatically mounting
those partions at boot time, and a user can then come along an
mount a partion.  As they own the mount they can write to it.