[Sussex] Re: HTML and stuff (books etc.)

john big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 10 20:06:01 UTC 2003

Hi list,

Well, on list advice, I have a copy of O'Reilly's "web design in a nutshell",
but on the front cover, it says "A Desktop Qick Reference".

I have come to the conclusion that O'Reilly's are either "the micro$oft" of
computer book publishing or their marketing director is a former micro$oft
employee and can't get away from the "squeeze the bastards" business methods.

I say this because the book, from one point of view is good, well written and
comprehensive. But the other angle is tell them what is available, but not
"how to do it"! (I view it as the later).

So, I am now on the hunt for information and examples of what the book
describes as "well formed code".

Hence, can anyone advise me on html and web designing books (reasonably priced
because at the best part of 20 quid a pop for O'Reilly books!!!!!), or
on-line resources that will give me "proper examples" of different levels of
page coding?

This is because some of your other advice, thusfar, has led me to believe in
the "opera" method i.e. doing things properly and not just using/abusing the
likes of f******** from M$ et al.

Anything I produce would be done from a non-existent budget so the likes of
dreamweaver, go-live! and co are out of the window (unless someones got a
copy that I can "borrow").

Any suggestions are "mucho appreciado"

regards

John D:-?