[Sussex] debian and stuff

Geoff Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Wed Jun 18 16:56:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:33:00 +0100
john <big-john at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> So, apart from the obvious, i.e. a seperate partition, what other preparations
> would I need to carry out, before downloading (or where do I get a "boxed
> set" copy, which incidently I prefer).

http://www.debianshop.com

They sell boxed sets and are based in the UK (something to do with cheeplinux I think).

> Also, this business of different file system types. If I remember correctly, I
> currently have my mandrake partition set as ext2 (I think). Having heard of
> other "linux file systems" such as ext3, reiserfs, and stuff like that (well
> I think that's correct anyhow), are there any specific things I would need to
> know/do/select/etc during install - bearing in mind that I know little or
> nothing about command line controls

<snipped>

1.  Debian stable is so far in the past that the likelihood of new-fangled stuff like journaled filesystems being an issue is minimal.  Expect ext3 to be the default in Debian 4 in about 2010 :)

2. ext3 and ext2 are compatible so there are no issues there.  Debian 3 (the current stable release) defaults to ext2 .

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com

--