[Sussex] debian and stuff

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Jun 18 17:24:00 UTC 2003

Hi John

On 18 June 2003 at 16:33 john wrote:
> Amongst, other things, I am looking into installing debian
> (whatever the current stable version is), as a third OS.

The current stable version of Debian is 3.0 (code name "woody").

> I am currently dual booting Mandrake 9.1 and eckspee on a
> single 120gig hard drive. I am using lilo as the boot loader.

I'm using lilo as my boot loader on my Debian systems.

> So, apart from the obvious, i.e. a seperate partition, what
> other preparations would I need to carry out, before
> downloading (or where do I get a "boxed set" copy, which
> incidently I prefer).

Debian, as a volunteer developed OS, is best supported by
the net.  You do a minimal install and then pull packages
from the net.  As such it can be installed from two floppies.
If you want CDs (or DVDs) then the ISO images are available
on the web site (www.debian.org).  I recommend just pulling
the first CD image and going for the network install - the
instruction are all on the website.  Also check the SLUG
archives as I've posted basic instructions there in the past.

> Also, this business of different file system types. If I
> remember correctly, I currently have my mandrake partition
> set as ext2 (I think).  Having heard of other "linux file
> systems" such as ext3, reiserfs, and stuff like that (well
> I think that's correct anyhow), are there any specific things
> I would need to know/do/select/etc during install - bearing
> in mind that I know little or nothing about command line
> controls (I am currently reading O'Really's "running linux",
> but the impending arrival of the new "Harry Potter" will
> over ride the O'Really book - God the anticipation is boarder
> line intolerable).

ext3, reiserfs, etc are journalled filesystems.  Journal recovery
is quicker after a machine crash than a fsck which is why (with
disk getting very big) journalled filesystems are becoming common.
The basic idea is that all updates to the file system are first
written to a journal file before being written to the main file-
system.  Each journalled filesystem has it supporters.

The one big thing to remember is that what ever filesystem you
are using on your root partion much be compiled into the kernel
(it cannot be a module!!!!!)

ext3 is an extension of ext2, and it is easy to upgrade from one
to the other; no reinstall!  First check that your kernel supports
ext3 ("cat /proc/filesystems" will list the file systems supported
by the kernel; and "lsmod" lists the modules loaded - if ext3 is
one of them then do not upgrade your root (/) filesystem).  Next
run the command "tune2fs -j <dev>" to create the journal file.
Then edit /etc/fstab and change the ext2 to ext3 for the device
you have just changed.  Finally try to "umount" and then "mount"
that filesystem, if you can't "umount" then rebooting is easiest.

If you have install everything under one partion (as Geoff does)
then upgrading to ext3 is an all or nothing approach.  If you have
split the disk up into different partions (/, /usr, /home, ...)
like I have then just pick one and try it out on that first.

Post if you want more help.  If I haven't got my nose in the
"Order of the Phoenix" this weekend I may just reply :-)

On 18 June 2003 at 16:55 Geoff Teale
> http://www.debianshop.com
>
> They sell boxed sets and are based in the UK (something to do
> with cheeplinux I think).

If you want to pay for something you can down load for free.

> <snipped>
>
> 1.  Debian stable is so far in the past that the likelihood
> of new-fangled stuff like journaled filesystems being an
> issue is minimal.  Expect ext3 to be the default in Debian 4
> in about 2010 :)

Not true.  Woody as a 2.4 kernel option (old yes, but not that
old).

> 2. ext3 and ext2 are compatible so there are no issues there.
>  Debian 3 (the current stable release) defaults to ext2.

I believe that the Woody install scripts allow you to select the
file system of your choice.  ext2 being the oldest and most stable
of the filesystems is the default.  Not every one wants to run the
latest, cutting edge software.