[Sussex] debian and stuff

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Thu Jun 19 11:11:00 UTC 2003

Morning John

On 18 June 2003 at 19:08 John D. wrote:
> Ok, so it'll be debian "woody" then.

Good plan.

> If I download from the net, then it would be as CD's. Then
> the part about network install's is where the linux "dark
> magic" (no harry potter pun's intended) comes in. Presumably,
> the however many CD's a full version would come to (presuming
> 3),

No 8, and that's just the binary packages.  There will be an equal
number for the source packages as well (that's if you really want
a "full" set).

> I don't really know what packages I should go for if I went
> for the 1st CD approach. I mean, I know that there is probably
> loads of stuff in my mandrake install that I don't need/use, but
> with my nugget level knowledge, it concerns me that I would leave
> something out, or even not know what I need, and my nugget level
> causes me unbelievable stress, hence I just put everything in and
> take it from there, notwithstanding, that when I installed the
> mandrake, I just told it to put all the "user" stuff in and not
> the developer and server stuff.

This is why the net install is best. (http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst)
You only pull those packages you need.  If you find you want something
that you haven't installed then it is at most 2 simple commands away.
I only have a 56K modem link, but it works just fine, slow but fine.