[Sussex] Taking the plunge

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Wed Jun 25 23:51:03 UTC 2003

Hi all,
Pretty much settled in sunny Angmering after my move down from
Crowborough last month.

I finally had to do the deed on my old Debian box & install the sick &
tragic mess that is Windows 98 so that my step-son could use his
game CDs etc. Although he quite liked Debian, especially GIMP.

Anyway, I now have the CDs for Debian 3, fresh from
CheepLinux.com & I am nearly ready to install it on my main
computer (just got to save some stuff to CD & make notes of my
various ISP passwords & set ups etc.).

I am quite tempted at the moment to go the whole hog & just run
Debian & lose Win95. I am beginning to think that hanging on to
Windows could be a bit of a "crutch" stopping me getting the most
out of Debian. When I first ran Windows, I didn't have another OS to
lean on. One of my main concerns about the music score writing
package I use has been removed after I found out that one of the
most active contributors to the Mozart mailing list has *never* run
Mozart in Windows - he runs it under WINE in SuSE!!

Just a couple of things though - if anyone can help..

Will my Lexmark 1100 run OK with Debian? (I ask this because the
Epson 440 on my old Debian box never printed so much as one pixel
under Debian 2.2)

Is WINE ok for printing? (Assuming the answer to the first question is
positive).

TIA for any thoughts.

Gavin.