[Sussex] Gentoo forked...

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedltd.com
Fri Jun 27 09:54:00 UTC 2003

Thanks to Steve for a good post.

In the cold light of morning, I have this to say on the subject:

Gentoo is today without a good developer because both Zachary and Daniel
are stubborn and arrogant - this is an unfortunate attribute common
amongst many developers and a source of much frustration.  For my part I
feel Daniel comes out of this the better - unfortunately many people
will only see Zacahry's side of the arguement as Daniel has declined to
comment apart from a few line on the Gentoo Developers list.  Gentoo
right now is in the process of putting together a new management
structure for it's non-profit entity - this will help turn the project
from a dictatorial hierachy into something more democratic a la Debian
/ Free BSD.

As Steve rightly points out, Gentoo is going through everything Debian
did in the 1990's, and it's a very sincere piece of flattery to that
project that Gentoo has modelled itself as much as possible on Debian's
approach (up to an including the adoption of a social contract that is
nearly identical).

What matters to me above all this, is that you and I can continue to use
and develop Free Software and help deliver benefit to people all over
the world in a balanced and fair way.  Software is such an important
part of modern society and the development of economies that we cannot
afford for it to be controlled by massive super-corporations who are
legally bound to the ruthless production of profitable growth.  Free
software is one way we can help defuse the time bomb of imperialised
commerce (which is arguably the root of the actions taken by the US and
Britain this year)  and allow developing nations a more level playing
field without resorting to law-breaking.  In this scope the petty
squabbles of two mean are insignificant.

--
GJT
gteale at cmedltd.com