[Sussex] Taking the plunge

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Jun 30 08:14:01 UTC 2003

Gavin

On 30 June 2003 at 00:09 Gavin Stevens wrote:
> Hi Geoff & all,
>
> However I finally set up my system - either Debian & WINE, or
> Win95/Debian 3 dual boot, I shall need to use some Windows apps.
> for sound/MIDI recording & editing & music score creating & printing.
> I will try Linux sound related apps., but there doesn't seem to be
> much in the way of well developed score writing packages just now. If
> there were, Windows wouldn't even feature as an option for me.

I'm surprised that there isn't something.  LaTeX has support and I thought
there were some wrappers around that as LaTeX is not for the faint hearted.

> It is a true sign of the help I have received on this list &
> at sites like DebianHelp.org, that I've gone from trying Debian 2.2
> as a complete Linux newbie to wanting to run Debian as my sole OS.
>
> It would be v nice if the install for Debian 3 is a bit nicer
> than it was for 2.2. Here's hoping.

The only reason for installing a new version of Debian on am existing one
is to re-partion the disk.  Assuming you have a network connections (that
seams highly likely given that you have e-mail :-) just point apt at one
of the mirrors[1] and update and upgrade it's simple.

Hope this helps
Steve

[1]
There are good instructions on configuring apt here:
http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/debian/laptop/2002/04/msg00094.html
You only need the "deb-src" if you plan to pull source code to packages.  If
you don't then don't bother adding them to the sources.list file.

NOTE: This email if for using the "potato" version (2.2) you need to replace
"potato" with "woody" or "stable" to get version 3.0.