[Sussex] Re: Rosegarden.

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 12:31:06 UTC 2003

Its Ok fellas

I found out for myself how to get Rosegarden going!

Here is some of the info I found:  Of course the stuff below is for
non-debian users, as I can now apt-get the things I need.

The link to below, is:
http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/faq.html#toc4
<http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/faq.html#toc4>  and may be of
use to any of you thinking of using it.

5.2.  My soundcard has no built-in MIDI synth and I have no external MIDI
devices. How can I get sound?

You need a soft synth! See the next question.
5.3.  How do I use an ALSA soft synth, such as iiwusynth or Timidity?

Well first, here's how to get iiwusynth working with a soundfont. Make sure
you have a fairly recent version of iiwusynth (0.2.x rather than 0.0.x) --
see  <http://www.iiwu.org/iiwusynth/> http://www.iiwu.org/iiwusynth/. Then
find a soundfont: one reasonable GM example is Musica Theoria 2, available
as mustheory2.sf2 from the Collections area of
<http://www.hammersound.net/> http://www.hammersound.net/, although it's
large and it's packed using some stupid Windows-only format (common problem
-- a few of the soundfonts on there are only zipped, though, so have a look
around).

Then run up iiwusynth with

  $ iiwusynth -m alsa_seq ./mustheory2.sf2

or equivalent for whichever soundfont you want to use.

If you're relatively short on CPU power, also give it "-R no" to turn off
reverb and you'll get a bit more polyphony before it breaks up. (If you're
very short on CPU power, forget it.) You may find you have to run it as root
or else the pitch goes awry, particularly on laptops with variable-speed
CPUs.

And then run Rosegarden, perhaps checking to make sure there are no spare
rosegardensequencer processes hanging around from before you started
iiwusynth (basically the synth needs to be started before the
rosegardensequencer).

Then you should find that one of the devices (16 instruments) is labelled
"IIWU Synth", with a GM patch map. To set a track to one of the soft-synth
instruments, click and hold on the track label at the left of the track
until the instrument menu appears and select the instrument on there. (If
you have no other MIDI devices at all, then the soft-synth should be the
default device.)

You can also use Timidity as an ALSA soft-synth with soundfonts. Run it in
ALSA input mode:

  $ timidity -iA

In my experience it takes rather more CPU power than iiwusynth for rather
lower-quality output, though I'm sure these things vary a lot depending on
how the soundfont is made.

And there it is!  I'll let you all know how I get on.

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company