[Sussex] Gentoo forked...

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 21:33:01 UTC 2003

Steve,

I have to disagree here.

I've been trying to cat-herd a bunch of developers in an OpenSource project
(a protocol) for the last year. We have about 6 developers who are KEY to
development of the feature set.

In the year, we've formed a very good working relationship, and are very
open with each other, but not at all guarded. This has only been possible on
the basis that all our discussions are absolutely confidential, and that we
will always present a united front to the wider community once we have
agreed on something.

95% of agreement is made by discussion till we all agree on something better
than any of us had originally agreed. About 5% has come down to a simple
vote.

I do not believe that we would have anything like as good (technically) or
useful (in terms of deployment among the interoperability community) if we'd
just had open discussions... I believe this because after 3 years of open
discussions, we were still left with NO actual products used by more than
the author .... until we changed to a different basis.

I am not for a moment saying that the approach we took is universally
applicable - instead I am saying that I don't believe that ANY approach is
universally applicable.

Regards,

Mark