[Sussex] Will Debian survive the rise of Linux?

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jun 30 23:45:01 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon Darling" <gordondarling at btopenworld.com>
To: <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 8:49 PM
Subject: [Sussex] Will Debian survive the rise of Linux?

<snip>

http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=212&page=1

> "Early 2004 is going to be make-or-break time for Debian.
</snip>

The author probably knows a million times more than me, but where he
mentions "critical mass" is where, IMO he enters the realms of fantasy. The
vast majority, seem, in my experience, to know little or nothing of Linux.
You get even more negative responses, when you start breaking down the
various distro's.

Some of the IT professional types on the list might disagree with that, but
as one of the "non-IT" people, it doesn't ever suprise me when I hear
comments like "Whats linux"? or "Yeah, I've heard of linux, but I'm not
really sure what it is"!.

Still, an interesting article though. Just a shame that one or more of the
big commercial supporters of linux can't sponsor some "proper" marketing.

Generate some interest outside "specific interest groups" like us, and at
the same time to "gee up" some of the slower hardware/software producers to
do/make stuff just a little more "linux friendly".

Just a thought!

regards

John