[Sussex] KDE 3.1 for Debian

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Mar 3 08:46:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 03 March 2003 at 08:28 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Debian users
>
> [You must use Gentoo..] Fellow workers! ;)
>
> <snip>
> > I upgraded to Sarge this weekend (thanks once again
> > for the bandwidth Geoff) and it's working fine on there -
> > being playing with it all last night.
>
> Quite alright Steve.. I presume this means you sorted your
> LILO nightmare..

Yep - don't know what went wrong.  I'm sure when Dom was
round I was running sarge on 2.5 I must have rebooted at that
point.  If something when wrong it was when I changed default
boot option to 2.5 (when in 2.5).  Well to cut a long story
short I had a corrupt MBR.  But booting of a Debian woody (3.0)
CD with "rescue root=/dev/hda1 single" got be back up to the
point where I could run lilo and fix the MBR.

> KDE 3.1, I have it, it's cool, much faster than it I've
> experienced with it before, pretty, nicely integrated -
> the GUI experience on LINUX is getting _so_ good now!

I agree - I'm a newbie when it comes to KDE so expect the
old question over the next few weeks as I get to grips with it.
But so far I like what I see - having fun at the moment trying
to get the thing to look how I want.

Steve

P.S.  Dom was showing off his IPaq - very nice to see one up close.
      I wanted one - so a quick check on eBay and yes there was one
      there - but I lost.  But not on the Sunday bit :-) I soon
      will be the owner of a IPaq 3630.