[Sussex] Dell... bugger..!

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Mar 3 09:02:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 03 March 2003 at 08:53 Geoff Teale
> Finally got confirmation from Dell on Sunday while I was out in London.
> All is fine except one thing - they've put Windows XP Pro in my spec
instead
> of Red Hat 8.0.

Bummer

> ...I feel more phonecalls coming on.  As the CEO of Dell spent the weekend
> having a slagging match with Sun about how the whole world is going to go
> LINUX and how Dell will ride that wave to kill Sun and HP in the server
> business as well as the desktop business, I feel it would be helpful if
his
> company could actually ship the damn things when you ask for them!

Given the CEO's rant I think you should make a strong point of this.

> Shall make a point of telling them that I _want_ Linux and I actively
> _do_not_want_ Windows!

On the other hand you could just take the machine and then return the
M$ software as "not fit for purpose" and ask for a refund on that
bit - might get some money off.  Given all the time Dell has sent you
could say if you don't get a full fund on the M$ software then you'll
return the whole thing and ask for a full re-fund.

I feel a post to the Register coming on.