[Sussex] Cable modems etc.

Stuart Jeffrey stuart at sjeffrey.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 13:13:02 UTC 2003

My cable internet is simple an ethernet port in the back of the cable tv
box...  This simply provides an ip address via dhcp to the client
connected and then the internet works fine...

I live in brighton and have service through NTL.  I have a friend in
Buckhurst Hill essex that has the same setup as me and two friend that
lives in Harlow Essex and a friend in Bishops Stortford (hertfordshire)
who had had cable modems supplied to them (not through tv box) but in
all circumstances it has had an ethernet port in it....

Actually come to think of it one of my friends in harlow had to buy his
modem... But that was a very long time ago now!

I think now NTL also provide you with a ethernet adapter which is USB...
But obviously u don’t need it, but is where some confusion can come as
to whether their modems are ethernet or usb....

In all circumstances I havent heard of any problems....

But I think things do vary depending on where you are...

Also bear in mind that NTL are in the red big time and as far as I am
aware on only just not in liquidation?  So don’t pay in advance!!  Also
their customer services from my experience is appauling (unless it
involves paying a bill)!

Hope that helped....

Regard

--