[Sussex] Latin signatures!

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Mon Mar 3 16:18:01 UTC 2003

I wasn't sure if Claybrook were solo or not - I think Thompsons had a hand before also being taken over by H-R?

> > > "cujus est solum, ejus est usque ad coelum et ad inferos"
> > Roughly it translates as "Whoever is alone, his is the way to
> > heaven and to hell"
>
> Hmmm, not bad, according to Sarah it means:
> "To whomsoever the soil belongs, he owns also to the sky and to the depths."
Nice - I thought that was the implication of solum (as opposed to solus) but I couldn't think where est fitted as that only translates as part of the verb to be. I'll have to go back to school - it's over 30 years since I failed Latin. I stick with Heaven and Hell (out of cussedness) but like the Englishness of using "is" as a possessive. Being ex-legal, I should have been able to get it right!

> Generally if my wife responds to questions about the law in latin then it
> can be taken as a code for "Go away and stop asking stupid questions", it's
> kind of her lawyer equivalent of "There are only 10 types of people in the
> world..."

Which 10 would that be?

--
Best wishes,