[Sussex] Find old mail

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 15:39:01 UTC 2003

Andrew,

Do you mean the "Parametric Worm Warning" message that I posted on the 28th
Feb???

If so, here it is again :-)

Regards,

Mark

------------

*<Adjective> Computer Worm <verb> Internet*

throughout the Internet. Dubbed <silly name> because <ridiculous reason
that doesn't explain anything about how it works>, and also known as
<another random name> and <another random name>, the worm has infected
an estimated <number> systems within <length of time>. Experts are
calling this worm the most <adjective> since <date in the past>.

The worm exploits a hole in <Microsoft product name> that was first
identified <number> months ago by <security company name>. In an attempt
to secure the planet, <same company> released detailed information about
the vulnerability and how to exploit it. They also mentioned how to fix
it, but apparently <noun> listened. Coincidentally, the worm that
exploited this hole was also first identified by <same company>. Even
more coincidentally, they make a product to protect against <noun>.

"Actually, it's not really a <noun>, it's a <noun>," said <some
person seeking publicity>. " A true <noun> works by <random filler
that nobody will read>."

The worm's payload <verb> every system by <verb ending in -ing> the
<noun>. Comparatively speaking, this is much worse than <another worm>
but not as bad as <another worm>. The computers of <place> were hit the
hardest. Current damage is estimated at <dollar figure more than the GNP
of two-thirds of the world's nations>. " This worm has the potential to
<something or other>," said <some person trying hard to come up with
something interesting to say ;-)>. " It just goes to show you that
<another something or other>."

Though there is no way to protect against this particular bug, experts
recommend trying <longshot one> or <longshot two>, neither of which
matter, since nobody will do it anyway.